Monday, January 29, 2007

What do Mormonism and Chuck E. Cheese have in common?

As a Christian, the study of Mormonism has had many affects on me -- through Mormonism God has touched my heart and life in ways that I would never have thought possible.

Yesterday my family visited a Christian church we'd never been to before. In addition to the reverent worship of God, praise, thanks, and fellowship, the message from this pastor whom I don't know from Adam, was able to reach out and touch me.

During the message about the search for truth, and the hard-fought battle over worldly values to find God's simple plan for us, we looked at how Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of stew. To Esau, he missed the value of his birthright for gratification of his fleshly desire to quench his hunger. The pastor then tied this example to the parable of The Pearl of Great Price, Matthew 13:45-46, where Jesus told of the man who was searching for this thing of value, and when he found it he saw how it was more valuable than everything else he owned -- he then sold everything he owned to obtain this "pearl of great price."

My first reaction was negative. A had a visceral reaction to the words "pearl of great price" because of what I know of the book by the same name.

For me, as a flesh-borne human being struggling with this earth, the writings of Joseph Smith Jr. and my knowledge of them supplanted my ability, for a moment, to appreciate the true pearl and toss it aside. My reaction to hearing the words "pearl of great price" triggered a reaction in me that I had to ponder for hours after the message, until I realized what was going on inside of me.

You see, this reaction was very similar to the first time that I visited Disneyland. Unlike so many California natives, I did not get a chance to go to Disneyland until I was an adult (this was in the 1980's), and drove myself with a friend on the 8 hour trek to kid mecca. While making the rounds on the rides at Disneyland, we finally wended our way to the Hall of Presidents, where I was absolutely left hollow and unimpressed by the animatronic Lincoln -- my jaw was dropped open, I was so absolutely astounded at how unimpressive it was to see this jerky facsimile of the lanky president "speaking" to us. It was the LOW light of my trip to Disneyland.

It wasn't until months later, when attending a nephew's birthday party at the nation-wide chain Chuck E. Cheese that I realized what had happened to me at Disneyland. I was in a moment transported back to the Hall of Presidents, and I realized what had happened.

I had been to Chuck E. Cheese many times. I was an arcade machine junkie as a teen, and sometimes the "fix" had to come from the least desirable source, Chuck E. Cheese (later I would score a job at a movie theater and make friends with the arcade room manager ... and the "freebies" arcade games went into the early morning on more weekend nights than I care to admit). What I had been exposed to at Chuck E. Cheese had affected me in ways I didn't realize. For years, the exposure to the mass-produced, computer-controlled, loud and obnoxious Chuck E. Cheese "animatronic" characters that played for the kids entertainment, had numbed me. The acceptance of the cheap facsimile had spoiled the value of the original.

When I sat at Disneyland for that first time, I was numbed to the Disney presidents. Mind you, these were absolutely ground-breaking technology in their day -- people were literally freaked out by the realism of these "robots" and there were even urban legends started about the Disney engineers working on robotic park staff, etc. In their day, these animatronics were seen as: 1. Realistic, 2. Unfathomable technologically, 3. Educational! These artificial characters were intended to teach the public; to transport the average American back in time, to almost reach out and touch past characters from the founding of our nation, and present "living history" to the public. What I saw was "the Pizza Time Players" -- Crusty the Cat, Jasper T. Jowls, Pasqually, and the Warblettes.

As I sat in church hearing the word of God preached, my mind short-circuited the living Word to justify to myself how what was being teached had nothing to do with the Book of Abraham or the Book of Moses, Papyri, Chandler's mummies and Egyptian funerary amulets. To me, I allowed my knowledge of Mormonism to implant a filter -- a logical branch that is triggered whenever terms used by the LDS Church are mentioned in a Christian setting. Quite honestly, my first reaction to hearing these words uttered, was to roll my eyes. How shameful! I had some real soul searching to do to justify my reaction to the Word of God, and this post is part of the fruit of that journey.

God really reached out to me yesterday and said this to me : If this happens to you, imagine how lost the LDS people are when they hear these terms! How sad for them not to even know the TRUE meaning of these words, at least you can discern them!

Salvation. Born Again. Grace. The Pearl of Great Price. Testimony. The Holy Ghost. The Trinity. The Holy Bible. Heaven/Hell. The list of words and terms that have been redefined by Joseph Smith in the Mormon religion are almost too numerous to list, and I just scratched the surface.

This message has two parts:
1. LDS people, seek the TRUTH of the Word of God! Search for the true Pearl of Great Price! The truth that only he who dies to himself can live for God (2 Cor 5:15).

2. Christians: Do not allow what you know about Mormonism to stand in the way of your walk with God. Embrace God's word, in spite of the redefined Biblical ideals, the deceptions that the LDS religion has introduced to us, which we are now aware of. A personal testimony is a good and powerful thing. The Pearl of Great Price is NOT a book. Salvation is not for everyone, but only those who accept the free and unmerited GIFT of salvation and the spiritual regeneration/baptism of the Holy Spirit! And the list goes on.

Examine all things; hold fast to what is good! (1Thess 5:21 ; Jer 8:5, Mark 7:4, Mark 7:8, Hebrews 4:14, Hebrews 6:18)

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Eric,
your article was quite interesting.
Do you know the term "memetics"?
Have a look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics

Memetics is the view that ideas go through an evolutionary process.
They are born, they grow, they mutate, they mix with other ideas, they propagate, and some die out.

What happened in your case is that the word "Pearl of Great Price" has two meanings for you. Because you expose yourself so much to Mormonism, the term has strong LDS connotations with it (the name of the book), and because you dislike Mormonism so much, it gets a negative connotation.
On the other hand, the term is part of a biblical story.

So we see that this term has undergone an evolution. It started as a term coined in a biblical story, and then, in the tradition of Joseph Smith, was redefined as a part of the holy writ.
But the evolution also took place in your head. Obtaining the redefined term, you added your negative feelings towards Mormonism also towards this term.
So it was not only Mormonism, but also you who altered the term.

You see, ideas undergo a continuous interaction.

During the times of Slavery, the exodus from Egypt was seen as a sign of hope for the enslaved people, and many gospel songs refer to it. (Cf. "Go down, Moses")
Again, old biblical terms get a new connotation, they are connected to current affairs.

Also many theological ideas evolved over the millenia and centuries.
For example, many ideas of born-again Christians could only develop with in the framework of individualism. Individual responsibility, conscience, etc. were ideas which only developed in later times.
This can for example also be seen in the fact that sometimes, the bible promotes individual responsibility, sometimes, it promotes punishment of people for the sins of their relatives.

Also the image of God developed over time, wherefore sometimes you will find vivid descriptions of a God having a body, and later you will find the claim that God is a spirit. The idea that God is a spirit again can only be seen in the framework of the greek distinction between body and soul (Soma - pneuma), which did not exist in the old testament (nephesh = the "throat"! often mistranslated as "soul") Dead people live in the underworld, because that's where they are buried.
Only in new testament, or hellenistic times, could the idea of people living in heaven after death develop.

Ok, I think that was enough for a simple blog article.
Just my thoughts on the topic of the development of ideas.

Dennis.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Eric Hoffman said...

Hello Dennis,
Thanks for the comment. But I did not write this article. Brian did.

In His Name,
-Eric

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dennis-

So does the fact that you projected your perceptions of this story onto Eric, when he did not write the story, change your feelings at all?

You repeatedly project "what happened in YOUR case" and "YOU added" and "YOU altered" and "because YOU dislike Mormonism so much" and so on.

I see the problem as people coming here to try to throw Eric's words back in his face, and it is done so with such vigor and desire, that you or they don't even notice that there are five contributors to this blog, all who have different life experiences, training, and may attend churches than Eric. I do not attend Calvary Chapel -- although I probably would if one was near me. I also don't live in Utah, and my name is not Eric.

So, regardless of what 'memetics' role may or may not have in *my* experience with Mormonism and how the study of it has added items to the list in my internal dictionary of words, your projections of your vissage of Eric onto me in your writing is clear.

I guess I'd like you to ponder that. If you want to raise the concept of "memetics" that is fine, but a detailed account of what you believe that Eric believes superimposed onto me is fascinating... but a simple "mistake" I am sure.

Even so, your post surely applies to any one of the five potential contributors of this blog, even though you don't know us? Sorry for my sarcasm, but it never ceases to amaze me how the Internet and wikipedia has turned everyone into an arm-chair psychologist.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,
to be honest, on first sight I also thought that the article was written by Eric, cause he is the main poster of this blog.

But I'd like to ask you another thing: you said that you would attend a calvary chapel if there was one near you.
Do you also appreciate Chuck Smith's predictions that Jesus came back in 1981? Are these predictions biblical? And if so, why did noone recognize HIS return?
Jason.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

J. Russel-

Yawn. Chuck who?

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
Chuck Smith,
founder of Calvary Chapel,
Calvary Satellite Network,
theocracy aka "Moses Authoritarianism", author of several books concerning the end times, developer of theological issues concerning the rapture and similar things.
If you claim to be into theology, you should at least have heart about him...
Jason

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Russel-

What does Chuck Smith or Calvary Chapel have anything to do with what I wrote?

You are engaging in character assasination of Mr. Smith, whom I do not know, and trying to play the "guilt by association" game and/or the "see, see, see! You smear Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism, but let Chuck Smith off scott free!" You simply cannot compare anything that Chuck Smith has said and done, in terms of his leadership of Calvary Chapel, to what Joseph Smith Jr. said and did in terms of his leadership of the LDS Church.

Rather than address the substance of the One Living Truth blog, or exercise some form of intellectualism, you dive into the "lets smear Calvary Chapel" pool.

The problem is that you and your ilk don't get IT. It's not about the church. it's not about the building, about the color of the carpet, the form of construction, the number of attendees, or Chuck Smith. It's about your soul dude, and a relationship with Jesus.

If you want to talk theology, let's do it. We can talk on the phone, or here, but if all you want to do is to lower yourself to the game of character assasination, there is nothing more for you and me to discuss.

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brian,
thank you for your answer.
I can understand your point of view. But it does not fit to the content of this blog.
If you read the articles written by Eric Hoffman, you will find that a great number of them are not about doctrinal issues or theology, but only focused on smearing anything the Mormon Church did/does or anything one of their members did/do.
Read the article about Deseret Books. There is no theological issues there, the title says it all: Eric complains that the LDS church makes a buck with its book-selling company Deseret Books.

And here is the point people start complaining:
If Eric points out irregularities and tries to smear the LDS church, why is HIS church not allowed to be criticized.

If false prophecies of Joseph Smith are mocked, why is Chuck Smith not put up to the same standards.

Calvary Satellite network also works with commercial radio stations, fired people to increase profit, etc.
Is it only there to make a buck???

Chuck Smith promotes the same authoritative structures the LDS church does. Is that correct?

While it is NOT about theology but about structures and people, this is EXACTLY what Eric Hoffman talks about in 50% of his articles.

If you complain about my post, I am fine with that. But your complain also mirrors back to your friend Eric who does the very same thing you accuse me of.

So Eric:
Why do you deal with all this smearing of the LDS church and its members, when you should restrict yourself to dealing with theological and doctrinal issues, with the soul, with a relationship to Jesus? Why do you deviate from the center of the gospel and only focus on those marginal issues?

Brian, you actually raised a good point. Maybe you should give Eric a call and talk this out with him!!!

Greets,
Jason

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Eric Hoffman said...

Brian and I are both willing to talk to you seperately or all together....what do you say?

This question seems to be the show stopper.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Eric Hoffman said...

J. Russel...
You said:

"While it is NOT about theology but about structures and people, this is EXACTLY what Eric Hoffman talks about in 50% of his posts"

AND

"Why do you deviate from the center of the gospel and only focus on those marginal issues?"


Here is a list of issues addressed on this blog:

-The Podcast.....

-Announcement....

-Merry Christmas From One Living Truth Ministries

-Mitt Romney And Mormonism

-Monotheism Or Polytheism?

-Airbrushing The Past

-Are Mormons Actually Postmodern?

-All their creeds were an abomination...

-Mormonism: Built On Top of Historic Holes

-God's Grace Should Be Given According To My Worthiness?

-Interview With Brian Evenson, Author of "The Open Curtain"

-Living Hope Ministry About To Release Another Powerful Video

-Has The Mormon Church Dipped The Company Pen Into Political Ink?

-According To Mormons, Jesus Is Not The Only Person Worthy of Praise

-No One Can See God's Face And Live....Well, Sometimes


Would you care to take back your previous statements?

Are you willing to call either one of us???

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jason-

You are taking a very dangerous stand.

You are comparing Chuck Smith, the founder of a religious/spiritual-revitalization *movement*and making an apple-to-plums comparison with Joseph Smith Jr who "restored Christ's church on earth."

This would be like comparing Jesus to Pat Robertson.

You are saying that because Eric attends Calvary Chapel, that any post on this blog is held to your scrutiny of Chuck Smith and Calvary Chapel.

As my mom would say, what you are doing here is "hogwash."

You are undertaking a disingenuous course of logic, like comparing Mack trucks to Mac computers because they share some remotely connectable sinew of distant linguistic similarity. Eric attends Calvary Chapel ... OOOH ... DOG PILE!

Chuck Smith and Calvary Chapel have nothing to do with me, or with this blog, or with my post.

Let's play the "Who Said It" game shall we?

Who said it, Chuck Smith or Joseph Smith:

1. "I must join none of them, for they were all wrong"
2. "all their creeds were an abomination in his sight"
3. "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."
4. "you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves"
5. "I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory."
6. "From my understanding of Biblical prophecies, I'm convinced that the Lord is coming for His Church before the end of 1981. I COULD BE WRONG, but it's a deep conviction in my heart, and all my plans are predicated upon that belief."

1 - 5 Joseph Smith
6 Chuck Smith

So Joseph Smith "restores Christ's Church on earth" and says, all churches are wrong, the Book of Mormon will bring you closer to God than any other book, you must learn to become gods, and you must partake in polygamy or you are damned -- ATTRIBUTING THESE THINGS AS TRUTH AND THE WORD OF GOD!

Chuck Smith runs a Christian "fellowship" and says that he feels Jesus will likely return before the end of 1981. -- ATTRIBUTED AS *HIS OPINION* (and a poor one at that).

I see the similarity. NOT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home